Self-employed mortgage with 2 years accounts


About Martin Alexander

Martin has been a mortgage advisor for over 15 years. Check to see if you qualify or give us a call on 0800 195 0490. mortgage reviews

“I’m self-employed and need a mortgage, but I only have two years accounts, is this possible?”. The answer is YES! A self-employed mortgage with 2 years accounts is possible with the right approach.

Most lenders ask for at least three years of account history from self-employed applicants. This can be a stumbling block, especially if your business hasn’t been trading that long, or you’ve recently changed your business structure (sole trader to a limited company).

The good news is there are lenders that may approve a self-employed mortgage with 2 years accounts. Some lenders will even approve a self-employed mortgage with one year’s accounts. High street lenders are likely to decline self-employed applicants who can’t show at least three years of trading history.

Enquire Now

Get Your Free Quote.

(No impact to your credit score)

Safe. Secure. Confidential.


How can I get a mortgage with 2 years accounts?

You will more than likely need a specialist lender if you have accounts for only two years. This is because high street lenders generally require accounts for three years. High street lenders are also a lot more restricted in what they can approve. If you find yourself in this situation, then please read the below.

Specialist self-employed lenders

If you need a self-employed mortgage with 2 years accounts, then you’ll most likely need a specialist lender. This is because specialist lenders offer a lot more flexibility in tricky situations such as when you only have two years accounts.

We’re constantly speaking to applicants who have been declined by other brokers and their own banks, simply because they don’t have 3 years accounts. It can be quite frustrating, especially when you’ve seen a property and need to take immediate action. This often tends to happen to borrowers who have been misinformed regarding mortgages.

On a positive note, our expert advisors have secured mortgages for many self-employed applicants with less than three years accounts, even after being declined with other brokers and lenders previously.

Self-employed mortgage specialists

A specialist advisor can make all the difference in being declined or approved. A lot of the time it isn’t as simple as approaching a specialist lender direct. This is because:

  1. Mortgage applications should be placed with the best-suited lender
  2. Mortgage applications should show exactly what the lender requires
  3. There may be a better mortgage rate with a lender that’s unknown to you

If your mortgage application isn’t placed with the best-suited lender, you risk being declined. Specialist lenders still have criteria that they need to fulfil when assessing your application and are no means an easy pass to getting a mortgage.

Every applicant has unique circumstances. Your financial circumstances may suit some lenders better than others. This is why the knowledge and expertise of an expert mortgage broker are so important, as they’ll know exactly which lender to place your application with.

Your mortgage application also needs to be packaged in the correct manner. This is because underwriters can request further documentation in order to approve your mortgage application. If you’re not prepared for this, it can quickly result in you being declined. An experienced broker should get as much information and documentation as possible before it even reaches the underwriter. Preparation is key in achieving a smooth mortgage assessment.

Finally, brokers with access to the whole market can pretty much guarantee they’re getting you the best product based on your circumstances. An experienced broker shouldn’t just attempt to secure you a mortgage, but should also search the entire market ensuring you’re getting the best rate available.

Accountants and documents

Although not always necessary, having an accountant can help. Not everyone that’s self-employed will utilise the expertise of an accountant. However, having accounts that are signed off by a qualified accountant helps lenders to understand your income in greater detail. Having an accountant also adds a hefty amount of credibility to your mortgage application!

You will certainly need your SA302 documents, which can be downloaded online from the HMRC portal or requested from the HMRC via post. SA302 documents also prove your income as it’s an official document of your declared income for a certain tax year. In this case, if you have two years accounts, you should have two SA302 forms.

I need a self-employed mortgage with 2 years accounts

If you have two years accounts and need a mortgage, our expert mortgage advisors can help. Clients use our services time and time again for the following reasons:

Independent advisors with access to the whole market
Always ensure the best mortgage rates possible for you
Experienced, qualified and knowledgeable advisors
Specialist brokers (self-employed mortgages, bad credit mortgages, etc)
Understand each lender’s criteria
Much much more!

If you require a self-employed mortgage with 2 years accounts, you can speak to an expert mortgage advisor today.


Get Your Free Quote.

(No impact to your credit score)

Safe. Secure. Confidential.